Two Purdue students are jailed in Hamilton County after they were arrested last weekend on charges of selling Ecstasy and a controlled substance. Jason Rodriguez, 22, and Daniel Miller, 21, made their initial court appearances Tuesday.
Room and board rates at Ball State University will go up $38 per student next year. The universitys board of trustees recently passed the increase that will pump up the housing budget by 3.7%.
The Marion City Council District Two seat will have a new representative starting next year. Republican Ann Secttor says she wont seek a fifth term in office. Secttor is currently the council vice president and has previously served as president.
A California state judge has ruled that governor Arnold Schwarzeneggers plan to transfer state inmates to out of state prisons is unconstitutional. The state originally had plans to send inmates to the New Castle Correctional Facility. Schwarzenegger says he plans to immediately appeal the decision.
Anderson Mayor Kevin Smith wants a 2nd term. He announced during the Madison County Republican Partys Lincoln Day Dinner last night that he will run for another four years.
An inmate at the New Castle Correctional Facility was wrongly released Saturday night after a woman apparently posing as a Marion County Community Corrections official took him from the prison. The woman had a badge and had what appeared to be a court order calling for Jared Baileys release. One of Baileys relatives contacted the Department of Correction Monday and told them hed been released by mistake. He was recaptured in Johnson County early Tuesday morning. Bailey and the woman could face additional charges in Henry County.
Parker City, Farmland and Delaware County Liberty Township firefighters were busy early Tuesday morning when a blaze erupted at the Wayne Thompson residence at 224 N. Main Street in Parker City. According to Parker City Fire Chief Rodney Rodeffer, the blaze broke out on the back porch of the home. A nearby fire hydrant was frozen, initially limiting the available water. The back porch was destroyed while the rest of the house suffered fire, smoke and water damage. There were no injuries. Thompson and his family are on vacation in Florida. Another picture of the fire damage is below.
Muncie Community Schools officials say students at South View Elementary School wont begin attending four other schools until Thursday. Original plans called for them to head to other schools starting Wednesday, but teachers have been unable to retrieve necessary items from their buildings. The building was closed last Friday due to extensive structural problems caused by the weight of snow on the buildings roof.
More growth in Fishers…a Sheraton Hotel is planned along State Road 37 near 131st Street on the site of a closed golf course. A water park managed by an Ohio lodging and recreation management company will be attached to the hotel.
A 45-year-old rural Madison County woman died in the fire that we first told you about Monday morning. According to Madison County Sheriff Terry Richwine three fire departments responded to the blaze in the 8300 block of County Road 150N and found the residence fully involved. Carol Snead apparently directed everyone else in the house to a second story window where they escaped. However she was overcome by the smoke. Madison County Coroner Ned Dunnichay says Snead died from carbon monoxide poisoning as a result of smoke inhalation. Other family members were taken to Community Hospital, Anderson for examination.